Attempted hiking trip to Puteri Mandi Waterfall

by - Monday, October 03, 2016

Alright, Let's go straight to the main reason why I came back blogging.
There is so much things going on recently and I don't even know where to start.
I guess the main reason is, I know I tend to forget things a little too soon, and I do not want to forget what I have been through this few days.

On 1/10/2016, (Yes date is important because this is my first ever hiking trip which turned out to be so intense one)

We are having a long weekend because Monday 3.10.16 is a public holiday. Yay! Therefore, Zong Lin was planning for some awesome photography plans for us. While doing a bit of the research of places to go, he found that there is a waterfall (Puteri Mandi Waterfall) deep in Mount Jerai, Yan, Gurun, Kedah.

Putri Mandi waterfall photo found from google image. 

According to some bloggers, the hike to Puteri Mandi Waterfall is going to take around 40 minutes(3km), which we thought should be easily reachable. Gosh we were so wrong. 

I woke up at 5.45am, reached his place around 7am, we had the tasty Roasted Pork Kuey Tiaw Soup as breakfast. Then we went to 7-11 to grab some water and bread just in case we need them later. And the funny thing is, I, UNINTENTIONALLY took one bottle of 1L EVIAN water, which cost me about rm 9.80!!! Honestly the reason i took it is because it is smaller compared to other brands like Spritzer 1.5L and i really thought it would be cheaper. Ya you can imagine how shocked I was when I get to know the price. Lol.

By 9 am, we were ready to start our hiking trip. Being so confident that it is just going to be a short hike, we decided to bring only the small bottle of water and leave the big bottle inside the car. GG. 

Getting so excited and started the hike! Let's go! 



Do you see the nice flat road inside the photos? Don't get too happy. This was just the beginning. The hiking part is yet to start. Which is why we still have the mood to take photos like this.
Then, the road disappeared and the real hiking starts. There is a sign saying: Puteri Mandi Waterfall- 3km. Sound pretty easy, huh?


the real hiking starts after this portrait was taken.

When we stopped for a short rest, and suddenly i felt something warm and semi-liquid fall from the sky onto my right arm. Yup you should have guessed it already, it was the bird's shit. Euwwwww. Definitely my first time. I quickly take the water out and used up almost half a bottle to wash it off. ZL warned me to save my water but i thought, it's ok, it's only 40min hike right? Not too long also, I think I can survive with my remaining water.
And I definitely regretted it.


After a while, we stopped to take photos of a waterfall (which i do not know the name, could be the bottom part/continuation of Puteri Mandi waterfall?)

Photo of the day taken by me! *proud



Me in action. Photo credit to Zong Lin! Thanks!



When someone said, 'How come I don't get to be inside the photo har?' and this is what he gets. 

As we go deeper, the hiking becomes more and more challenging. We actually need to use our hands and legs together to climb up. And even passing through rivers by holding onto a thin rope for support. Like shown below.

Great moment captured by Zong Lin. Perfect composition!


We took a few wrong turns but luckily we found out early that it was not the right road.
The small path becoming more and more slippery, and full of leeches everywhere!
For the first time I saw so many leeches and got bitten by one. Honestly they really are the best dentist in the world, you can't really feel anything even when they are sucking your blood. Despite knowing that it is not painful, it still scares me. Especially when you are looking at it trying to get inside your socks to suck your blood, really sooo geli/ disgusting. Euwwwww. I was stunned and was too afraid to do anything, luckily ZL came for a rescue. He pull it out from my leg with his hand and it tries to stick onto his hand this time. In the end he managed to remove it before being bitten. Pheww.

We were getting more and more tired, and came to a point where we were in dilemma whether to continue hiking up or to give up and go back. Then we met with a few hikers who are also going to the same waterfall.We asked, 'How long is it going to take to reach the waterfall?', to which they replied, perhaps another 45min-1 hour, but we definitely hiked more than half of the journey already. Considering about how little water that we still had left with at that time, we decided to retreat. Water/Hydration really is the most important thing during hiking.

Suddenly i fell down cause the roads are too slippery. Thank God there was some tree branches that stopped me from sliding all the way down. Now that i recall back, it was actually quite scary, if not because of the tree branches, I can't imagine what could be happening to me.
And this was how i got the largest round bruise for the past 27 years (measuring 9cm x 6.5cm, dark purple in colour) on my left outer thigh. Haha.
Let's take it in a positive way, it is a sign of me, being brave enough to step out of my comfort zone to see the world and getting close to nature. Don't you think i deserve a bit of a clap here? =)
*thick face. Well, the truth is i was just too clumsy. Haha!

And finally, we managed to come back safely.

This structure is the starting point of our hike where the tar roads disappeared.  

There is some dirt/sand on my leg and i didn't bother to Photoshop it away(for beauty sake), as it is all part of the memory.
I'm so glad I came, and I am really grateful for all these experiences!
Special thanks to Zong Lin and Zong Xun for helping me out during the hike! Thank you so much! =)

p/s: Each of us had one can of 100plus and one big coconut drinks(straight from the coconut) after the hike. Then we realized how dehydrated we were and it was a wise choice to retreat.
Our total hiking time ~3.5hours. (9am-12.30pm).
So the actual hiking time to reach the waterfall should be around 3 hours. (Total 6 hours??) Lol.

Hopefully, one day, we will come back and conquer it all and see the majestic Puteri Mandi waterfall with our own eyes! =)






You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram